Sunday, October 20, 2019

Ethical Reasoning

The Logical FLOW for Ethical Reasoning 
in an Argument
Image: Illogical Reasoning and Fallacious Writing



Ethical reasoning is logical thought based on a clearly identified, specific ethical belief system.  
If I wanted to write an argument about ethical hiring practices, I could assert my reasoning in a logical way using ethical beliefs from the American Constitution and the Bill of Rights
If I wanted to write about any ethical issue, I would first need to decide on a specific ethical standard from which I would be arguing pre-set ethics as well as outside sources that defend that ethical standard to assert my ethical argument.
As Rotimi Fawole succintly states, “If you want your conclusions to be accepted, you need to give valid, logical, reasons why” (2012).


For the ethical essay in our class, many students determine their viewpoint on the issue and defend it with a Christian standard of ethics; however, I have had a few argue their viewpoint from the Medical ethical standards (which includes the Hippocratic oath of "Do no Harm").

Ethical reasoning about genetic modification would need to flow from 
1.     your argument viewpoint,
2.   the ethical standard, and then
3.   proceed to logically, reasonably persuade the reader (using argument techniques) that these views are meeting the ethical standards.
For example, if I was to argue that genetic modification at the cellular level for non-consenting humans was unethical for Christians to support due to the practices of idolatry, murder, and coveting...
I would first need to focus on one of these arguments to make a logically and reasonably argued ethical viewpoint that the audience will agree to by the end of that section.

Idolatry:
·       I would assert in a body paragraph how genetic modification is idolatrous. This would be my topic sentence.
·       I would then argue that Christians are supposed to reject things that create idol worship and false love.
·       I would then use support from the Bible that shows idolatry is not ethical for Christians.
·       I would then explain how this concept is best for all humans to adhere to, whether Christian or not.
·       I would then use outside sources that confirm genetic modification creates the unethical actions and traits found in idolatry.
·       I would explain how those sources defended the overall viewpoint that genetic modification should not be endorsed by Christians.
·       I would then wrap up the body paragraph argument in a culminating sentence that reflects back to the topic sentence of the body paragraph—where the argument was first asserted.
This process of step by step, slowly leading the audience through the argument, ethical standards, relating the viewpoint to the ethical standards, then introducing source material that supports these ethical assertions…and so on…leads the readers in only one direction, and the argument becomes flawless.  This procedure will assure that ethical reasoning and logic is infused in the writing in a way that by the end of your essay, the audience has nothing else to say except “You’re Right!”


Insights:
“If you want your conclusions to be accepted, you need to give valid, logical, reasons why. It is therefore somewhat sad, for example, to read rejoinders to articles and opinions that, rather than discussing the issues put forward by the writers, are but attacks on writer. Or, on the comment threads of some online articles, to find an opinion roundly put down only on the basis that it was expressed by someone from a certain tribe” (Fawole, 2012).

Fawole, Rotimi. “This Logic Matter: ‘Let's Do What They're Incapable of Doing in Aso Rock; Let's Think!’” YNaija, 14 May 2012, ynaija.com/this-logic-matter/.


No comments:

Post a Comment