As a first step toward analyzing your audience for argument, you should review the Analyzing Your Audience worksheet from the Writing Process area of the Excelsior OWL (below).
Then, check out the video below, which will take you through the key steps of analyzing your audience. Be sure your volume is turned up!
Analyzing Your Audience

Audience Knowledge
Analyzing Your Audience

Because keeping your audience in mind as you engage in the
writing process is important, it may be helpful to have a list of questions in
mind as you think about your audience. The worksheet
below can be saved and printed if you want to keep it near your computer as you
write. For an interactive version of this process, visit Excelsior’s
Writing Lab HERE.
Completing this document will
get you started on your overall ideas and THESIS for the essay. By the time you have answered all the
questions in this document, the last question should slightly resemble a
THESIS.
Audience Description
Who
is my audience for this? What do I know about them?
Audience Knowledge
What
does my audience need to know about this subject? How much do they know
already?
What is Important?
What
aspect of my subject is most important to the audience?
What isn't Important
What
is the audience least likely to care about?
Main Points
What
do I want them to understand and care about?
Audience Thoughts
How
can I organize my essay so that my audience will think about my subject in new
ways?
What is Most Relevant?
What
in my research have I found to be especially interesting or relevant to my
audience?
Audience Thoughts
What
do I want my audience to think, learn, or assume about this subject? About me?
Audience Impressions
What
impression do I want to leave my audience with?
Content is from

No comments:
Post a Comment